[pianotech] butterfuly grand

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jun 3 14:20:55 MDT 2010

Porritt, David wrote:
> Terry:
>

> I have a tuning lever head with a 5-inch extension.  When I get up to
> where the hammer handle would hit the side, I switch heads and just keep
> going.  It took a little getting used to at first, but is now second
> nature.  If you stand while tuning that area the feel of the lever is
> just like the feel with the shorter head when seated.

As a full time university tech with a bazillion studios, I'd
probably do the same thing. As a twice a year independent,
with about a dozen studios, the lids get raised. Also in
homes, churches, whatever - raised.

I do use a long tip on the shop hammer for stringing and such,
and you're absolutely right that the feel isn't nearly as
alien as it seems it would be. My second Schaff long one-piece
head/tip self destructed with the last tear down, so I gave up
on them. Bought a long head from Schaff, and a long Watanabe
tip from Pianotek, that looks like it's going to be a good setup.

Onward,
Ron N