[pianotech] Gordon Laughead spinet with lifter wire issues

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Thu Jun 3 23:18:56 MDT 2010

Greetings List,

I did a quick evaluation on a piano this afternoon, a 1961 Gordon Laughead Spinet. It has a few issues, chiefly..

When the customer is playing the piano, every now and then the lifter wire pops off the back of the key where it attaches.  The lifter wire is threaded with a dowel and two different thicknesses of felt washers.  The U-shaped metal bracket at the back of the key that holds the lifter wires in place seems to attach between the two felts.

Playing with several of them, some seem very loose, and some are tight. It was difficult to see between the two felts to find out what is actually providing the friction to lock the lifter wire to the key.  I took some photos below.  I tried to unscrew the top piece of wood, but as it was extremely tight, I thought I'd check here first before I went and broke something!  :-)

There was nothing below the bottom (white) felt to push up on it to provide a compression type fitting.

My first thought is that maybe the wood is tapered and the thinner section is wrapped in the green felt. Or, is there a grommet of some type that I can't see between the two felts, or possibly part of the whole assembly? Or is it just an adjustment sort of thing? I can't seem to find any parts from the supply houses that look like they address this.

I'm a fast learner, but since this is the first time I've had this issue, I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

I have an appointment next week to have a tuning and a pitch raise, as well as fixing a broken bottom board.  I'm hoping to be able to offer him a solution at that time.

Regards,

Rob McCall

McCall Piano Service, LLC
www.mccallpiano.com