[pianotech] Hammer Flange Friction

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Sat Jun 5 08:30:13 MDT 2010

Don,
I remember either hearing or reading the idea that to some degree the backcheck wire in a vertical action absorbs and releases energy when properly regulated in such a way as to contribute to the possibility of early jack return.  In fact, what I remember about the conversation is the backcheck wire being referred to as the repetition spring of the vertical action.  Any comments on this?

Floyd Gadd

Tom wrote:

Don
This is a new revelation for me. I've always assumed that the general design of the upright action limited any possibility for the jack to reset in the half position. I have 8 new Steinway 1098 uprights I'm dying to give this a shot at.
Tom Servinsky