[pianotech] Pin Block Drilling

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Tue Jun 8 17:26:16 MDT 2010

In a message dated 6/7/2010 11:13:14 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
rnossaman at cox.net writes:

it's  going to be tough to ream
(drill) for the "next size" from 0.282" to an  appropriate size
for 0.286" and still get an adequate interference fit to
produce the necessary torque.
I agree, and have never "reamed" or redrilled for oversized pins. Just had
one of our students restring a G-3 with #4 pins from #2 and have even
torque in  the 120# range throughout. Using a bottle-brush chucked into a drill
to clean  and feather the wood in the holes helps.

Paul