[pianotech] Pin Block Drilling

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Jun 8 17:55:12 MDT 2010

Yes but for one size up you should probably neither ream nor drill.  Just
clean the old hole with a gun brush chucked into a drill bit.  If you ream
or drill going, say, to a 3/0 from 2/0 then the new pin will be too loose.
I prefer to go up one and one-half sizes from a 2/0 to a 3.5 (after that I
replace the block).  In that case I use a drill bit designed for a 3/0 and
drill with a hand held cordless (I'd have to look up the actual bit size),
just one quick pass.  It's better to dull the bottom of the drill bit in
such cases so that the drill centers before it starts to cut and doesn't
widen the hole at the top more than is necessary.  That seems to work best.
Test a couple first. Don't use a pin longer than the original.  It's an
inexactly science going up a size in the original block.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

Is it possible to drill a pinblock for one size larger pins without removing
the plate.  If so what are the general procedures and or pitfalls to
consider before undertaking.

Thanks,

Steven Hopp
PianoWorks Studio