[pianotech] Question on agraffes

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jun 9 15:33:02 MDT 2010

> It's rare that I see come across one broken agraffes, but 8????    Any
> thoughts?
 >Any ideas why 8 may have broken?

Pull an original agraffe, and you'll find that the stud isn't
threaded all the way to the shoulder, and the shoulder isn't
undercut like a modern replacement agraffe. The things never
were seated right, and just cranked down for alignment. It's
unusual to get more than a couple, but you seem to have won
the big one.

>Should I assume that more
> might, or will, break over time?

Yes, or at least I would.

>Could it be a problem with crowning?????

Come again? Crowning of what?

> She wants me to go ahead and replace the two remaining agraffes and to
> regulate the piano.  It needs it badly.  And the piano, though, way out
> of tune, is tunable as least so far as the tuning pins.  It looks like
> the pin block and hammers have been replaced over the last few
> years...they look new.

The agraffes should have been replaced with the pinblock and
strings.
Ron N