[pianotech] re. Tuning Failure

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 14:49:20 MDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Joseph Garrett <joegarrett at earthlink.net>wrote:

>  Floyd said:
> "A couple of months ago I worked on a New Scale Williams (Canada) piano.
> It's a large vertical, from the teen or twenties of the last century. I
> tried to tune it but found myself chasing the pitch. It was late in the day,
> lighting was poor and getting worse, and it was one of the pianos that has
> the pressure bar cast into the plate, hindering access to and visibility of
> the treble section. By the time I left it was better in tune than when I
> started, but I did not consider the work to be at a billable standard, so I
> simply arranged to return.
> I returned to the piano today, starting late morning, and bringing my own
> light source. I anticipated that I might be chasing the pitch for a while,
> but I was going to chase it until it landed. It never landed.
> The piano was largely sharp, maybe 5 to 8 cents, some places a little more.
> I did an initial pitch correction pass, using Tunelab Pocket with my usual
> pitch correction settings. I did a second pass with no overshoot. I then
> used my split mute to survey the state of the center strings of the middle
> section. Lots of sharp notes. I did another pass of the middle section, and
> was finding notes up to 8 cents sharp. I would tune several notes, go back
> and check my work, and find that it was sharp again. After maybe three or
> four passes, most of the notes were stabilizing, but there were rendering
> issues that was making everything move along very slowly, the kicker, about
> 3 hours in (!) was the last note before the strut at the top of the middle
> section. 5 cents sharp. Tune the middle string, bring in the unisons, now
> it's five cents flat. Back and forth and back and forth. I checked the lower
> half of the treble section. Nothing at pitch, everything sharp. Feeling
> awkwa
> rd already, having been at it so long, I billed the customer for the repair
> I had completed (a missing treble string), and admitted that the piano had
> won the the round.
> I've been tuning pianos for 7 years. I'm not unaccustomed to rendering
> problems. But this is the only time I've been defeated by a piano like this.
> Tuning pin tightness is good, except for a couple. The bridge is not loose.
> The plate is not cracked. The upper termination point for the tenor and
> treble strings is not a cast surface, but a long cylindrical rod in a groove
> on the plate. The unisons agree with each other, but whole ranges of notes
> simply will not stay where I put them, even after multiple passes. I was
> unable to diagnose the problem. What am I missing?"
>
> Floyd,
> Two that I can think of: 1. lubricate the under felt above the pressure bar
> as well as the pressure bar/capo/agraffes, with LPS-1. Spray some in the cap
> and apply with a paint brush. It will disapate w/in a few weeks and will not
> collect dust. 2. check pinblock for separations and tighten ALL bolts. It's
> [...]

Sounds like they "copied" a lot of things from the S&S verticals! Every one
of those I tune I spend more time chasing pitch than I do actually tuning!

Mike
--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

   Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service