[pianotech] Rib/Panel Clamping Methods - was: Fire hose failure!

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Jun 14 08:23:25 MDT 2010

Not what I was referring to.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Terry Farrell
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 2:32 AM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Rib/Panel Clamping Methods - was: Fire hose
failure!

David's last sentence (quite sure I have this correct David....) is
that by clamping the rib to the panel in a caul of the same radius of
the rib, you are actually making the rib an additional 8 mm taller (if
your panel is 8 mm). Now of course that is not entirely true because
the grain angle of the panel is not nearly parallel to the rib - so
the panel does not have the same resistance to compression forces that
the zone of the rib closest to the panel has - but never-the-less, it
does add to the rib - and you are adding no additional weight - so
it's a stiffness freebie. If you are not pressing your ribs/panel in a
radiused caul, you loose that potential benefit. How much is that
benefit? I don't know - I presume it is fairly small, but real.