[pianotech] need advice for plain wire section on a S&S Upr (1880)

pnotnr at aol.com pnotnr at aol.com
Tue Jun 15 11:06:31 MDT 2010

Hi Ron,

I wasn't intending to rescale the piano when I started this project.  And I'm guilty of simply making a pattern of the bass strings and taking just the measurements the string maker asked for without any evaluation on my part.

What caught my attention was that the plain wire sizes seemed smaller then what I see on most instruments this size (54" upright).  And there are so many new replacement strings, and broken strings and missing strings that I figure this piano has been mistreated for decades.

But then maybe in 1880 they used lighter scales?  The piano is so heavy that when moving it ones first thought is "Why did they bolt it to the floor?"  (not that this is any justification for using heavier wire)

I came up with the tension for the treble by simply putting the plain wire info into the program without any bass info,

I appreciate your input.

Gordon Large