[pianotech] humidity

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 17 04:49:17 MDT 2010

Thanks for responses about humidity, specifically regarding issues with the
Baldwin I mentioned.  Now I've another question for which I'd appreciate
help.  The same church has a Shigeru Kawai, and two Estonia grands.  There
was a major issue with tuning pin torque on one Estonia, which has been
resolved, but Mr. Josh Foust raised another issue.  He was fairly strong in
his assertion that humidity be kept between 50-57% for the Estonias.  This
can only be managed with DC units, as they have AC running in the major
music centers of the church at all times and it is running in low-to-mid
60%.

My question(s) regard humidity in general. If humidity levels are maintained
at a consistent level "x", how crucial that they be kept at a particular
"x"?   How does that significantly affect things like integrity of pinblock
and bridge pin holes being damaged by expanding/contracting of metal against
wood? Is there any general consensus about how much the piano's life will be
shortened because of humidity caused wood deterioration either by crushing
fibers, leaving looser tuning pins, and/or cracks in bridges?

On a distantly related matter, I tuned, yesterday, a Wurlitzer spinet which
went through hurricane Ike.  The piano is about half a mile from the Gulf of
Mexico, and had water (Gulf water being salt water) sitting in it for weeks.
This was the first tuning since the hurricane. I opened up the bottom and
told the owner that I was afraid everything inside was going to break.  The
water line was immediately obvious, as rust was the order of the day
everywhere in the bottom of the piano.  The bridge apron had one crack in
it, and there were some small cracks in the treble bridge (not the bass
one).  The bass strings had changed timbre, but with one exception were not
dead, and I braved pulling it up within 10 cents of pitch and the whole
thing held with some stability. At the beginning of the tuning A4 was 25
cents low.  These people couldn't afford a new piano, so it was  a very
pleasant experience to have strings hold.  They had an old DC unit in it
without the box. Thankfully, I think, it wasn't working, and would have been
grounded out during the most needed drying time....

Thanks for input

Les Bartlett Piano Service