[pianotech] Upstop rail - - was Upstop rail missing

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 09:02:56 MDT 2010

At 07:13 -0700 17/6/10, Joseph Garrett wrote:

>JD harrumphed: "Since when is "upstop rail" a correct term?!"
>
>JD,
>Since we took the German and translated it. <G> (to American
>English<G>) Try getting a copy of Mason's Piano Nomanclature so that
>you arent' quite so confused.<G>
>Joe

The German is DŠmpferpralleiste, so lord knows what confused person
did the translation.  The thing is called the (damper) stop rail.  In
England, where it was invented before the Germans even had
modern-style dampers, it is also called the damper check rail or, on
an upright, the slap rail.  Upstop is pure nonsense, Mason or not.
If Mason is as useless as Schimmel's Nomenclatur it has no value
anyway.

JD