[pianotech] Low humidity ok ?

Randy Chastain Randy_Chastain at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 20 13:44:16 MDT 2010

To show what low humidity can do, I had a client who moved a Steinway
grand (rebuilt) from San Francisco East Bay Area (RH approx 62%) up to
North Shore Lake Tahoe where it snows. You folks in that kind of
climate knows what happens. Too many of us in California never think
of RH at all. Well I told her she had to have a DC put on it before
the movers left. This was in January. They left without putting one on
and came back 3 months later after the blizzard to a cracked board. It
went well below 30%. Keep it stable as possible and close to 45-55.

Randy Chastain