[pianotech] OT-Car Repair

Brian Trout brian_trout at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 23 09:25:26 MDT 2010

Hi Avery,

Hey, I didn't mean to burst your bubble or anything.  And the site may work better for more mainstream vehicles.

I think I might have a look at a website like that if I needed to have something done, but I'd keep a skeptical eye.

Also, some jobs on cars aren't that different than pianos.

As a for instance...

Someone needs a new grand pinblock.  An online guide of some kind might give an estimate for how much it costs to replace a pinblock but fail to mention a full resringing that would typically go with the job.  Oops.  And we haven't even talked about what shape the bridges or soundboard may be in.  Oh, the action?  You actually want to play this thing?  Um...  the estimate just grew dramatically.

Similarly, someone might need a new timing belt on their car because it's close to that 100,000 mile mark.  A timing belt might only be $70.  And to just install the belt might only be a few hundred.  But, that would be foolish for me and my Jetta.  While the whole side of the engine is torn apart, it's also time to replace the timing belt tensioner (which is often the cause of failure when not replaced), another of the idlers the timing belt rides on, as well as the water pump that is right there in the thick of it all.  There are also special bolts used on a number of components that are not intended to be reused and need to be replaced.  If it's time for all of those things, it's probably also time for even more...  oops...  I guess that estimate just went up.

Ain't nothin' easy!!  LOL!!

:-)

Brian