[pianotech] Desperate measures!!!

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jun 23 22:19:00 MDT 2010

Alan Barnard wrote:

> Hi, after a long absence ...
>

> Situation: Old upright Steinway with "the disease". MUST make it work,
> if at all possible, due to weird and too-long-to-explain circumstances.
> No money for new parts.

Gee, what a unique circumstance. This is the first time we've
heard anything like this... really, the very first...

> Question: Is there ANYTHING that ANYONE has tried that will really
> loosen up those frozen flanges? Some miracle solvent? Witchcraft?
> Bribing Blagojevich?

Almost anything that everyone has tried will help temporarily,
but if anything eventually works long term, it will be because
the owner has paid for all past lower cost attempts, and
finally new parts. Shrink, heat, lubricate, whatever. Knock
yourself out. Just don't guarantee the fix until the parts are
replaced.

That's it.
Ron N