[pianotech] WNG parts with Schaff (Abel) hammers?

Nicholas Gravagne ngravagne at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 09:57:06 MDT 2010

Hi Chuck,

Haven't used Abels on the WNGs, but shouldn't be an issue. RE the bore hole,
you might order the drill bit from the WNG site and have it shipped to
Schaff, then back to you with the hammers. I had Dale Erwin prep a set of
Weikerts per my specs, but he went ahead and ordered the WNG bit for himself
figuring he would need it again. Bit can be found at
http://www.wessellnickelandgross.com/index.php/tools/misc-tools/hammer-drill-bits-bass.html

I prefer brad-points for boring hammers, but this WNG-offered bit is not
brad-point. Drill bits are not very expensive, and you might locate a 3/16"
brad-point (0.1875"), which is the closest size to the WNG 4.7mm bit
(0.185"). The extra 0.0025" extra on the 3/16" might be nice to have as I
had to ream almost all hammers a little bit. The OD of the WNG shanks calls
out @ 4.67 mm, but in reality this varies enough on the high side that the
3/16" brad bit might be a good choice. But experimentation would be in
order. In any case, boring the hammers with smaller size bits is not
different than we are used to; Schaff should not have a problem with this.

RE the glue, the consensus (albeit of a relatively small sample) seems in
favor of CA gel. Ask WNG about this, they probably have a recommendation. In
fact, a recent post by JD seemed to indicate that WNG has the stuff and may
be offering it to techs.

RE "other practical suggestions": before you commit to wholesale
installation of the whippens, install only a few samples of
hammer/shank/whip combos and regulate (doesn't even have to be exacting).
The issue is to obtain sure-footed hammer rise without having to weaken the
springs too much. I take it you have read the posts on this issue,
especially those by Will Truitt. In my own case (new run of hard-bushed
parts) I will be trying Will's fix to the rep spring coil post-mounting, and
may also repin the rep lever for higher torque. At present I am not able to
regulate the rep springs for sure-footed lift, or for correct speed of lift,
while at the same time maintaining a positive, snappy jack return.

Also, if haven't already done so, view the online video at the WNG site RE
installing whippens. In most cases (if not all) the front edge of the whip
rail will needs to be beveled so as to allow clearance for the boat-bottomed
shape of the whippen beams.

Good luck!

--
Nick Gravagne, RPT