[pianotech] different Inharmonicity in Yamaha plain wire

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Fri Jun 25 22:24:59 MDT 2010

I do not know what wire Yamaha uses.  All three wire companies I am familiar
with (Nippon, Mapes, and Roslau) make multiple grades of piano wire.
Generally the lower cost wires are stiffer, not drawn as carefully and
consistently, and not polished as nicely.  The tensile strength is not
substantially different, but the other properties might be different.
Someone who knows wire manufacturing better than I will have to answer about
that.

Don Mannino