[pianotech] dismantling a piano

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 26 12:16:34 MDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your responses.  The socket wrench with screw driver adapter worked well along with regular screw dirvers pry bar and I had to use a small sledge hammer as well .  The job took me quite a while and there is still a little to complete.  What slowed me down were the little things like pulling off all of those balance rail pins and front key pins.  the vice grip worked well, but it seemed to slow me down, and takign off the strings slowed me down a little. Foe soe reason these front end wire cutters I have here stopped cutting, so I had to borrow my customers.

 They were happy that I was trying to save as much of the case as possible because her mother gave her the piano 45 years ago, but it's too old and they don't have money to rebuild it, but didn't want to just chop it up.  Next I have to take off the key bed and get that plate out.  cutting strings and rolling them up takes forever.  thanks again everyone.

Marshall

Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
Marshall's Piano Service
pianotune05 at hotmail.com