[pianotech] dismantling

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Sun Jun 27 12:32:19 MDT 2010

Hi Marshall,
The method I've seen has been a combination of an automotive scissor jack and a 4x4 deck timber with a cross-bar at the end,
 applying outward pressure on both sides simultaneously.  I've removed the sides from two different pianos, simply using pressure.
  On one, the hide glue simply gave way.  On the other the sides basically disintegrated.  I've sometimes wondered if a properly
 guided (not freehand) deep cut from the back with a circular saw would make for a tidier removal.  The material could be either
 taken from the sides or from the surface the sides glue to, and since a measured amount of material is being removed, replacing
 the material when reassembly is desired might be relatively straight-forward--more so than if, for instance, the Bolduc upright
 pinblock remover were to be used.
Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter

Quote:
Hi Everyone, How do I remove the sides of the piano where they are glued tight with the hyde glue? or is it Hide glue?
 I guess it depends if someone is trying keep it hidden as to how we spell it. Anyway, would I use a chissel to remove, a
 heat source along the edges so as to loosen? I don't want to pound the sides because I don't want the wood to split.
 Thanks
Marshall