[pianotech] interesting drop action design

Rex Roseman rosemanpiano at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 15:09:31 MDT 2010

Tom

I just worked on one of these actions the end of last month in an Aeolian
Spinet. In the piano that I was working on you had to unscrew the keybed and
lifter assembly and move them forward to get enough clearance to get the
action in and out. (After getting the action out, I discovered that the
problem was not in the action as I thought, but a broken damper pedal
spring!!! One hour extra time chalked up to experience.) The biggest problem
was that to get the action back in, you had to drop the action onto it's
action frame posts then slide the lifters and keybed back into place. If
anyone has ever replaced an upright action that has no bridle straps, you
know the experience that I had getting the lifters under the wippens. It
sounds like your piano maker gave you enough room to remove the action with
the keybed in place.

Rex Roseman