[pianotech] business

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 29 07:30:54 MDT 2010

Hi Marshall,

The fortune cookie is work, work, work, work, work.  Read, read, read, read,
read.  Learn, learn, learn, learn, learn.  Follow my advice in what I did
and still do to work my business and it will work. Provided.... That you do
what I recommended.  Screw the client and they will screw you worse.  Word
of mouth is a good and bad thing.  One person will spread bad news a lot
faster than one person will spread good news.

It depends on how much energy and TIME that you put into your business and
how quickly you learn the basics and how quickly you learn the business
aspect of it as to how long it will take to build it up.  The more frequent
one must return to fix something we already fixed, the longer it will take
to build up the business.  We must be able to fix things the first time
there, not the 3rd, 4th, or never..  These are things that we learn over
time and we have all had these situations.  The quicker we learn to overcome
them, the sooner we make happier customers and happier "us."

Other factor's include "location, location, location."  If you are in a
location where there are not enough pianos to support a business then no
matter how hard you try, it will not work. Just like any othe business.
Then MOVE.  The area must be able to support it.

One must push oneself (not saying you do not do this but, I know plenty of
techs that do NOT) to get out of bed and proceed forward with
pre-scheduling.  I guarantee you that if I did not have preset appoinments,
I would sleep in every single day of the week.  I really would!  Knowing
this about myself is the reason I preset them. It forces me to get out of
bed and go to work.

It takes years to build up any business.  At least 5 if not 10 years or
longer I would say.  It does NOT happen over night and there is NOT a magic
bullet.  The magic bullet is called time, effort, training and energy.  This
is the same with any business.

When my dad retired, my mom had been sick with cancer for 4 years.  He
spent, especially toward the end of her life, most of his time with her.
The business suffered greatly for obvious reasons.  When I finally took it
over, it had gone to pot.  I had to basically start it over as that, was the
last thing on his mind.  The first, was his dying wife.  So, I worked my
tail off, going door to door to the old clientele, calling them, sending out
letters of introduction, explaining my head off of what took place and what
happened and little by little built up a reputation of my OWN eventually
landing more and more accounts.  Sometimes these accounts were taken away
from lousy techs that should never have been tuning in the first place.  I
glady take these accounts.  Do lousy work and they deserve to lose the
account IMO.  However, I NEVER take accounts from tech friends or GOOD
techs.  I simply refuse them.  They keep theirs, I keep mine.  Just a good
working relationship between "most" of us here in G.R.  Works well for us,
always has.  That is what I meant by not stepping on other techs toes.