[pianotech] Shop rate vs house call rate

kurt baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 11:34:34 MDT 2010

Ok, so I am in the process of updating and organizing my fee schedule, and
was wondering how others figure rates for work in-home vs in-shop.
Do most technicians charge less per hour for the same repairs/regulation if
they do it in their shop? If so, why, and by how much?

No need for actual dollar amounts, just a percentage of what you normally
get for an hour of tuning or repair, and your thinking behind it.

I figure my house call rate needs to cover:

Driving time.
Gas
Car expenses
Tools and training
The inefficiency resulting from working in someones living room with limited
tools.

On the other hand, my shop rate needs to cover:

Shop rent
Utilities
Maintenance
Even more tools (and training).
The work involved in moving the action to and from your shop (unless of
course you just charge two service calls on top of your shop rate)

It just feels odd to try and calculate how much my time is worth based on
where I am standing at the time.

-kurt