[pianotech] String Breakage

John Voigt jvoigt at gwtc.net
Tue Mar 2 10:25:59 MST 2010

Matthew,

Was the string in the area where the tuning pin is directly below a plate
screw?  I have found that the severe angle of the string to the tuning pin
in that area (I believe there are two pins that are particularly bad) causes
the string to start to crawl up the coil causing it to break.  If the tuning
pin has sufficient torque, I have back it out a couple of rounds to try to
decrease the angle.  You have to deal with a litte more flagpoling of the
pin, but it beats repairing strings.

John Voigt