[pianotech] Replicating Baldwin damper flanges...too wide betweenthe ears

George F Emerson pianoguru at cox.net
Fri Mar 5 19:08:59 MST 2010

Although I cannot immediately address your specific problem, Dave, I feel like I should respond since I designed the Baldwin 248, in the mid-1990's.  It did not exist circa 1981, although its smaller cousin, the 243 had been around for many many decades prior to 1981.  Are you sure it is a 248?

There was nothing unusual or non-standard about the damper flanges.  It was the standard full-sized upright action that we got from Pratt-win, with the same action design that the former Pratt-Reade had produced for many decades, for many different American piano companies.  I am not questioning the veracity of your observations about the damper flanges, but reporting what I recall from that time at Baldwin.  What changes may have taken place since I left in 1997, I don't know.

You have raised my curiousity.  I have, in my shop, some action part that were used on the original prototypes for the 248.  When I get home from abroad, I will compare them whith what is currently available.  This might lead me to information that might more directly address your problem, but for now, it is a mystery to me.

Frank Emerson