[pianotech] Steinway finish ?

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 11:11:08 MST 2010

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 8:02 AM, William Monroe <bill at a440piano.net> wrote:

> Proper way to re-install??  Whatever works.  I usually place the fallboard
> on the keys in the open position, about at the front edge of the sharps.
> Then I position the two cheek blocks on their posts.  Then, lift the
> fallboard slightly and rotate to about 45 degrees and place into position.
> Some folks put the cheek blocks on outside the piano and balance the
> assembly to install as one piece.  I've had the cheek blocks fall off too
> many times so I've stuck with the method I've outlined above.
>
> William R. Monroe

I think we are doing exactly the same thing at the end, but different at the
beginning.

Here's the way I do it.  With the fallboard on the floor (or on your lap or
wherever), put the cheek blocks on. Then, slide your index fingers over each
post to hold them in place as you pick up the fallboard and cheek blocks.
This way, the blocks cannot fall off as you lift the fallboard to place it
back in the piano.  Then, set the fallboard and cheek blocks back in the
piano as you describe above, and work everything back into its place.

Works well for me.

--
JF