[pianotech] Premium service

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Tue Mar 9 19:56:31 MST 2010

I have never enjoyed tuning all that much. And I really do not enjoy tuning
pianos that are out of regulation, badly voiced and generally just not
working all that well.

Starting in the mid- to late-1970s I decided to do something about this. I
toyed with the idea of just turning down certain types of pianos but decided
it wasn't really the type of piano I disliked, but the condition of the
piano. I was servicing some small vertical pianos that I didn't mind all
that much and other grand pianos I couldn't stand.

My solution was begin doing nothing but what you are calling "Premium
Concerto Tuning Service." At the time the "standard" fee for tuning in the
area was $40 to $45. I had been charging $50 and I raised this to $75. I
announced the change to my customers by letter in which I outlined my
reasons and explained what they would be getting in return for the extra
fee. I also had to explain the change over and over again when folks would
call and ask, "How much do you charge to tune a piano?" As expected I lost a
fair number of customers most of which I did not mind losing. At least I
didn't miss their pianos. But over the next few months I found that my
actual take-home pay (for field tunings) did not decrease as much as I
thought it would. I scheduled fewer tunings per day which cut down on my
driving time and expenses and after a couple of years I found that my take
home pay was increasing and in the end I had not lost as many customers as I
thought I would. Immediately I found my work was less stressful, the
performance quality of the pianos I did service was going up and when I left
the piano I felt a whole lot better about the whole job. I no longer had to
sell things like pitch raises and relatively minor regulating and voicing
services-I actually had time for nearly everything in the allotted time. I
still do this type of work with the few outside tunings that I still do.
And, were I ever forced to go back to full-time tuning I would do the same
thing now.

Aside from not losing income as a result of my change the other real
surprise was the mix of pianos I ended up servicing. It didn't really change
all that much. I still had a few spinets and consoles in there along with a
few old uprights that were still in reasonable condition (and were now
getting better) along with the usual mix of grands of various ilk. The only
thing I could never figure out was why I hadn't done this years earlier.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

620 South Tower Avenue