[pianotech] TuneLab as an IPhone App

Brian Trout brian_trout at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 15 13:36:58 MDT 2010

You brought back some memories, John.

Believe it or not, my very first piano tuning was when I was in high school.  It was a boarding academy where part of the ciriculum was work.  My job was as a helper in the music department.

One day, my boss, the music director (they only had one), came to work with a little box under his arm and a few tools in a pouch.  He said, "You're going to tune a piano today."  I did.  Sort of.

He had a Peterson StroboTuner, one of the old ones with a spinning wheel that you had to stop the strobe pattern on for each note. (I'm trying to remember, but I think it had 12 strobe wheels.)  I got to tune the unisons by ear but the individual notes of the keyboard were set by the StroboTuner.  I'm sure most everyone knows what that sounded like as there was no stretch.

The home study course from the Empire School of Piano Tuning came shortly thereafter, I think at one of my summer breaks.  They taught a very basic fourths & fifths temperament that I never mastered well enough to have a satisfactory outcome but it served me poorly until John W. Travis (A Guide To Restringing) taught me a method of mostly 3rds & 6ths that clicked with me.  Octaves and unisons improved nicely along the way as they were always pretty easy for me to hear what pleased my ear.

I have to wonder whether there are some courses that start out, "I Grog, (dink, dink, dink), do hearby bequeath (dink, dink, dink) this student tuning lever (dink, dink, dink, dink)"...  written on a slate tablet.  LOL!

Everybody started somewhere...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, John.

:-)

Brian