[pianotech] Action inertia FW versus SW

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Mar 16 17:58:44 MDT 2010

Certainly you may.  It’s an interesting problem.  I was there today,
actually, engaged in a long discussion trying to determine just what the
problem is exactly.  I didn’t set up the action so I’m going at it based on
information he is giving me or that I’ve been able to measure on site.  The
AR is in the low 5’s measured using my dip/blow tool measuring device.  The
action regulates with quite deep key dip, around 11 mm, such that I have
actually shortened the blow and shallowed the dip by 1 mm to see if what he
was responding negatively to wasn’t getting buried down in the keys.  While
it did help it wasn’t the complete answer.   SWs are I think what would be
called Medium High note #1 about 12 grams and note 88 around 5.5 grams.  Not
that high actually, especially considering the low leverage.  BW is around
35 grams--pretty light though his complaint is about sense of too much
weight, ironically.  Friction from my samples is around 10 or 11 grams in
the bass and around 8 or 9 in the treble—a fairly narrow spread.  FW's
appear to be relatively low based on number and placement of leads.

After a long discussion with the pianist today I think inertia is not really
the problem.  My present theory is that the problem is a fly-away action.
By that I mean that the keys seem to fall away from the fingers too quickly.
Once the stroke is initiated the action accelerates with not enough control
and the pianist gets a feeling of being disconnected from the keys.  The
pianist feels that he loses control and a sense of weight through the
stroke.  Also, because this fly-away issue controlling pianissimo playing is
difficult and must be done with the utmost caution in arm weight (I can tell
this myself as a player).  Yet there is a sense of resistance that he
doesn’t like especially in very rapid passage work.  Though it is difficult
to know exactly what is going on my current thinking is that because of the
fly away tendency there is a natural inclination to be very light with the
touch even in rapid passage work instinctively in order to avoid the fly
away sensation.  This attempt at a very light touch makes it difficult to
initiate the stroke sometimes due in part, perhaps, to the highish SW
numbers.   I am leaning toward an explanation that the action ratio is too
low and that for this pianist he might be better served with a higher
leverage by virtue of a shorter knuckle hanging and lower strike weights
keeping the FWs relatively low and the BW the same.

Of course, with an existing action it’s difficult to test this without
spending a lot of money.  My current suggestion, then, is to hang two
octaves of hammers with 16 mm knuckle shanks (I have some old Steinway
hammers on shanks taken from some action rebuilds in the shop) with modified
strike weights (lower) that will offset the change in ratio and leave the BW
the same.  Not too hard to calculate this and do a prior set up on the
parts.  Then I can just swap two octaves and he can test it out.  The lower
SWs will reduce the power slightly but on this 1920s piano with the original
board a that won’t probably be such a bad thing as there are some
termination problems anyway that are being exacerbated by the higher SWs.

Generally, I see a trend in a lot of action rebuilding which I think has
potential problems and that is forcing the action leverage down very low in
order to get the most facile, low inertia performance.  While this
undoubtedly appeals to some pianists it can also create problems and not
only with regulation (increased key dip), but I’m also wondering if the
sense of fly away isn’t also related to an AR which is too low.  It would
make sense in terms of shortening the shank radius and the faster rate of
change through the stroke (time to review my calculus).

Comments?

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com