[pianotech] Action inertia FW versus SW

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Mar 16 22:31:01 MDT 2010

That's what I'm thinking as well. But since these things are difficult to communicate (if the pianist can even be really aware of what the specific problem is) I can only surmise what the remedy might be. I'm trying to think this through and approach it in the most reversible and least cost way so that if it turns out the solution isn't one, he's not out that much. I am curious whether others have experienced this particular fly away sensation and whether when they did it was associated with a very low leverage.  The experience that comes to mind that I've had with this situation was with an action with wippen assist springs that were cranked up fairly high.  But this action doesn't have those.  I think it's pretty clear that low leverage with low strike weights produces an action which doesn't feel right and similarly high leverage and high strike weights also have their problems.  In this case it's very low leverage and medium high weights.  When weighing off an action I see two basic types of key response to the setting of weights on the key.  One is a rather slow and steady climb and the other is a slow initial climb but once in motion a rapidly increasing acceleration.  It is the latter that describes this action and that would make sense in terms of the fly away feel.  What is responsible for those differences is the question.  Is it simply a matter of friction?  Or is it something else.  My friction sampling (from UW DW samples) doesn't suggest that the problem is excessively low friction.  But I suppose it's possible.  I didn't sample every note.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com