[pianotech] Removing a spinet action

Duane McGuire pianoman at duanemcguire.com
Sat Mar 20 21:13:38 MDT 2010

I was away for the afternoon and just got in to look at all these great
comments!  Thanks for taking the time.  I appreciate it.

Michael assumed from my other comment that the spinet is in my shop.  No.
It is in a customer home.  I would have been more courageous if it had been
in the shop.

Patrick's comments help reinforce the thought that I was wise in applying
the principle of "do no harm" here.   I backed away quickly after the action
refused to budge, so I didn't examine the action.  But I believe he is
correct that it is of good design, with capstans at the key ends, because
there was a superstructure in front of the action rail, which I assume now
supported action centers above the capstan row.  Interesting.  The only
spinet action I had previously examined did indeed have forks and drop
rods.  I can see that would be  a total nightmare to remove.

Thanks all for your insights.