[pianotech] Las Vegas convention-apology addendum

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 23 15:41:12 MDT 2010

>On Mar 03/23/10 1:32 PM Jim Moy wrote:

>It didn't even occur to me it might impact PTG costs. Maybe the
>assumption was the $109/night was going to be the "best" deal, so of
>course people would say "PTG convention rate, please," right? (Which
>brings up another question -- why *isn't* the PTG getting the best
>rate possible for its members?)

One word, Jim "volume".

The PTG can give the hotel an estimate of, say, 400 rooms booked for 5 nights and perhaps 200 more for seven nights (oversimplification - it's more complicated than that, but you get the idea). Total - 3400 room-nights. The hotel is willing to give X% discount off its full rate for this sort of volume.

Compare that to the tens or perhaps hundreds of thousands of room-nights that Travelocity will book over the span of a year, and you see why they can get (and offer to those who book over their website) a larger discount than the PTG - and still make a profit...

Then again, the PTG is dealing with one hotel site, Travelocity is booking in every hotel in the chain... No way we could get the same discount that such volume booking can command...

Israel Stein