[pianotech] Las Vegas convention-apology addendum

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 23 20:14:36 MDT 2010

While it has been about twenty years since I have personally been involved
with helping to choose a convention site, I have a point or two to make.  It
is true, as others have said, that a convention like ours is possible in
part because of the rooms that are rented for it.  Many of you have
experience with other convention groups that do things very different from
PTG.  One of the most unusual features of the PTG Convention is the large
number of classrooms needed along with a large, secure area for exhibits
along with numerous large function rooms for Council, concerts, and
receptions.  Some of you have mentioned other hotels you are familiar with
in Las Vegas; you wonder why we don't meet there.  Without knowing the
particulars of those hotels, I would bet that very few would be able to
finds all of the spaces we need.  While I was involved with this process, we
had many requests for different cities.  Most of them we dismissed very
quickly because there was no single property that could accommodate those
needs.  We have looked at university settings.  Some universities have
wonderful convention facilities, but still don't work well for us.  One
reason is the advanced age of many of our active membership.  They cannot
trek across campus like they once did.  We firm up our deals with the
convention hotels several years in advance.  When the economy is poor, the
deals struck years before don't seem so good.  Sometimes, but not always, we
can renegotiate prices.  (An important part of any negotiation with a
convention site is the number of rooms that were paid for at recent PTG
Conventions).  Three or four years from now the hotels will probably look
better to us, and the economy is a big reason why.  When a destination is
very popular or the economy is going gangbusters, Expedia and the like
cannot get many good deals.  I look forward to seeing you in Las Vegas in
June and I will be at the Bally's on the PTG plan.  I know that not everyone
can afford to go (even though I also know you really can't afford not to),
or to stay in the convention hotel.  Those of us who can should to support
PTG and our profession.  See you there!

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

 <mailto:bdornfeld at earthlink.net> bdornfeld at earthlink.net

North Shore Chapter