[pianotech] Yamahas Gray Market?

Ken & Pat Gerler kenneth.gerler at prodigy.net
Tue Mar 23 22:58:57 MDT 2010

I have a "gray market" piano in my client base.  It is a 7 foot without sustenuto. A previous technician was going to try to add it - found a 3-pedal lyre, drilled the appropriate hole in the keybed and that is as far as it got. I wondered why it was that way until I looked up the serial number.  The only way it would ever get a sustenuto, would be from a piano that was destroyed in other than the action cavity and salvage it's sustenuto.

I don't know if it is true of all "gray market" piano, but this one is painted "flat black" on the under side vs. left wood color.

Ken Gerler