[pianotech] Force equivalents in different actions

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Wed Mar 24 16:20:47 MDT 2010

I have restored an older Knabe - as it was my piano I chose to experiment.
After stringing I used a few hammers and ended up with Peter Clark's
Classical West hammers - they are big, dense and cold press - similar to
Isaac's.
Strike weights are quite heavy - 13.5g at A0 and tapering along a typical
Stanwood curve for that range.
The action geometry was altered to accommodate and the ratio is quite low
with 10.3mm dip and 45mm blow. Three and a half leads in the bass and
tapering to one on the hammer side of the top three. I also like low
friction so the touchweights are all 52g down and range evenly from 32  to
38 up from bass to treble. Checking is set at 6.5mm right now - WNG checks
allow this. It feels and sounds good to me.
After Del's class - spent the day today reducing bearing - especially in the
bass/lo-tenor and did improve the tone slightly.
I have been lectured about the down side of heavy hammers to include much of
what you say about the force that hits the string - slower moving from heavy
and faster moving from light but overall power/force the same - wear and
tear on bushings etc. I do listen, believe me.
I think that the point about action saturation cannot be excluded as
certainly everything flexes more with heavy.
The hammer will only accelerate so fast and how would anyone know if you
were at the saturation point? That would remove anything resembling a linear
relationship and put an upper limit on force applied to the string.
Maybe WNG shanks can help reduce saturation but that is another story.
And the tone is different. I believe felt resilience plays a roll.
I have also been lectured that heavy in the treble is not good - with 7.5g
sw at G7 I have great power and clarity - go figure. If the hammer string
contact is calculated on the high side, it is not muting any pleasing
harmonics anywhere on the piano. Lowest 4 notes excluded.
Ready to get hammered publicly.
Gene