[pianotech] Dampp Chaser system installed on a DGC1?

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 18:05:33 MDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Pam Bero <itune4you at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Looking for experiences (good? bad?) installing Dampp Chaser systems on
> grands with player systems.   Any special considerations?
>

> I have a customer with a Yamaha DGC1 Mark IV which is in need of humidity
> control.  Although I’ve installed many D Chasers, I’ve never done one on a
> grand with a Disklavier.
>

> Someone made the suggestion of just installing the dehumidifying side of
> the system.  Thoughts?
>

> Thanking you all in advance for your advice.
>

> Pam Bero
>
> Associate Member
>

> PS:  My customer lives in Wisconsin, on the water.

Hi Pam,

I've installed a couple of systems in grands with PianoDisc systems, I
installed the complete systems because thats what the situation called for.
If you think the constant humidity will be at or near 40% then you probable
would only want to install the dehumidifier, although these days you can't
just install part of the system like the old days, it's more complex than it
used to be.
If you are installing a dehumidifing system only you have to get a special
humidistat from Dampp-Chaser, I would suggest calling them for up to date
advice. I installed one about 2 winters ago in a house that even on the
coldest days, -15 degrees had 54% RH, all we could figure was it must be
over an underground river or something. At that time I talked to
Dampp-Chaser and the told me about not using half a system.
I've also found the undercovers to be very beneficial for holding the
humidified/dehumidified air in place under the piano where you want it. A
string cover might be in order as well although I don't have much experience
with those.

Good luck,

Mike
--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

   Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service