[pianotech] Plate removal

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Mar 30 07:58:01 MDT 2010

Hi Hank

I didn't really see any responses to your questions. I recently tore down a
piano with the plate tucked into the rim at the bass corner and on both
sides of the pin block. Additionally, the whole front of the plate was built
into the stretcher across the front. There are likely more elegant solutions
than I came up with, but this how we did it in river bottom Hoosier land.

For removing the inner part of the rim here I set up a platform on top of
the rim with a fence and used a small battery powered circular saw to rip it
down the middle. I pried it off and the glue joint popped. You can see the
saw cut at the top with the fresh wood and the glue joint below.

You can see here the plate extending into the side. I had to do the same
thing, rip down the middle of the rim. What you can't see is that the front
of the plate extends 2/3 of the way to the front of the piano below the
stretcher.

I couldn't figure out what was underneath the top of the stretcher so I
drilled a few big spade bit holes. Some places I hit metal, others, wood.

Here you can sort of see that I used my circular saw again to rip across the
front, then started removing the wood that covered the front flange of the
plate however I could.

Here is a better picture showing my rip line across the front and the
beginning of wood removal over the top of the plate. You can sort of see the
big screws I uncovered.

Dean

Dean W May                (812) 235-5272

PianoRebuilders.com    (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802

  _____