[pianotech] Tool for plate removal

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Tue Mar 30 13:22:05 MDT 2010

The one I have is rated at 440# / 880#, depending on whether you are
pulling up directly or using the supplied pulley / hook. If you run the
cable through a pulley and then attach the cable back to the hoist,
you've decreased the speed by 50% and doubled the lifting capacity. The
arrangement I have uses a double pulley at the load end and a single
pulley at the hoist yielding a 4:1 advantage in lifting power and a 1/4
reduction in speed. Again, I'd recommend more reduction (next time I'll
do the math!) but here it's more the lifting capacity of the pulleys
than the hoist itself to be concerned with. I've used it to lift a
plate, with an S & S B still attached to it, without any strain.

Advantages are, once you have the fun of building it:

1. It's always in place to lift whatever. No assembly required.
2. It's always stowed out of the way.
3. Once the plate is out, it's better to move the piano rather than have
the plate swinging from the cherry picker, IMHO.
3a. A roll around table can be moved into place to receive the plate.
4. It has a power cord and a cool up / down switch.
5. It's made in China (okay, maybe not an advantage).

Tom Cole