[pianotech] pin block inserts

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Mar 30 15:25:48 MDT 2010

Hi Dean. Cut the inserts out to fit easily into the cut-outs - don't
worry about a perfect fit - you'll be using a good gap-filling high-
strength epoxy anyway. Even if there are quarter-inch gaps here and
there, no big deal. I'm not sure I understand the method of cutting
you describe below, but it appears you routed out the pinblock cut-
outs. Epoxy makes a mechanical bond with wood, so any roughening of
the surface you can will be good. If you are applying thin epoxy resin
to the wood, it would probably soak in enough that roughening wouldn't
matter - but since we don't really know how far it will soak in,
absolutely, IMHO, it would be a good idea to roughen the wood bonding
surface. I cut my pinblock cut-outs with a saws-all saw - so it left
me a nice rough surface anyway.

Because of the stresses that will be applied to your pinblock, and the
relatively small bonding surface area you will have, you really want
to make sure you make the best epoxy bond possible. I used the West
System Two-Step Bonding Method, which I strongly suggest is the best
way to do this job.  http://www.westsystem.com/ss/bonding-gluing-clamping/

Another good way to work thin epoxy into a surface that doesn't soak
up much this epoxy (this is how West System recommends bonding metal),
is described about half way down this page - point #3  http://www.westsystem.com/ss/bonding-hardware/
   Basically, they recommend sanding (with very coarse paper) the thin
epoxy into any non-porous surface to be bonded. I've even had very
good results using this method when I wanted to bond a plastic pipe to
something - and we all know that epoxy won't bond to plastic - or at
least we thought it wouldn't!

After wetting out the two surfaces, I highly recommend using West
System #404 High Density filler - it is their highest strength filler.

The method I used to align the inserts to the cut-outs was to first,
make sure my inserts are the same thickness as the block. Then I used
my pinblock jack (the thing you support the pinblock with when driving
tuning pins into the block), with a piece of flat plywood (larger than
your cut-out) on top of it and a piece of plastic on top of that. Put
it under the cut-out, snug it up to the bottom of the block, and now
you have an automatic insert leveling system and also something to
prevent any low-viscosity epoxy from oozing out from the bonding area.

Hope this helps. The last piano I used this method on I tune every few
months - and it holds it's tunings wonderfully.

Terry Farrell