[pianotech] approx. retail price of 1929 Mason and Hamlin

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 30 21:52:33 MDT 2010

Paul,

Here's a couple of figures that might help you to ballpark it.

Street price of a new A is usually around $35k.

Unless there is something really exceptional about the rebuild, a newly
rebuilt piano will usually sell for less than a new one, so let's be
generous and say it was worth $30k when newly rebuilt.

The piano in question was rebuilt 10 to15 years ago, Larry Fine suggests
that a 10 to 15 year old new piano would have depreciated value of  51%
to 60% of its new value.  If we apply this same depreciation schedule to
the rebuilt piano, it's value would be $15k to $18k.

The granddaughter's expectations might be very realistic.  In the end,
it depends on finding the right buyer.

Mike