[pianotech] Hydroceel

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Sat May 1 03:38:57 MDT 2010

I think better than a damp chaser is the idea to keep the whole room humid enough. A damp chaser provides humidity inside of the piano, but the outer side of the soundboard is still in a dry environment. And extreme dryness is not good for the human bronchi and skin, too. But in terms of efficiency the damp chaser might be better. I use a Venta airwasher LW44 in my shop which costs about 270 Euro:

http://www.venta-airwasher.com/

This winter I had days when RH would have went down under 40 % without that airwasher, but the airwasher pushed it up to 48 % within one day. No problem to provide my 70 square meter shop with 10 liter of water (or even more) every day if needed. But as I mentioned before: the region where I live does not suffer from extreme dryness. On the other hand: I have a client who lives in a house with floor heating and ceilings which are 8 meters high! He has a Venta and still it was too dry in winter. He decided to buy a second Venta. That worked.

Gregor

piano technician - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de