[pianotech] Netbooks and tuning software

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sat May 1 14:08:23 MDT 2010

Hello List:

I want to find out if anyone out there is using a netbook with any of the
tuning programs.  I'm not concerned that the various tuning programs will
run on a netbook, I expect that they would  - with the caveat that it would
have to be an Windows XP netbook as opposed to the new Windows 7 stuff
(there are still Windows XP netbooks available online).

I want to use a netbook to run tuning software, but I am considering a
netbook for other reasons also, as opposed to a Smartphone or PDA.  One
other good reason for on the road is that I could have my database with
directions, notes, and perhaps even scheduling software right there, and I
can enter mileage into a spreadsheet.  There seem to be some advantages
here.

Also, I use Excel spreadsheets (too many of them, it sometimes seems) as
part of my teardown process for rebuilding in the shop.  It has been my
practice to take extensive measurements from the piano, enter them onto an
empty paper printout sheet for my teardown spreadsheet, and then enter them
manually into the spreadsheet on the computer.  Since I am doing such things
as key weighting, recording speaking lengths, waste lengths, etc. etc. etc.
for string and soundboard scaling, this is a lot of measuring and a lot of
time.  This double entry process is prone to error also.  What I would like
to do is get a copy of Dragon Speaks Naturally, a headset microphone, and a
netbook.  This way, I could speak and enter the data into the appropriate
spreadsheet cell and you're there.  (Not my idea, credit goes to Jude
Reveley).

These are the reasons I am considering a Netbook.  The question I have
regarding tuning software is if some of you still find it a bit too big and
still unwieldly.

Thanks for your comments.

Will Truitt