[pianotech] Netbooks and tuning software

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Mon May 3 23:34:12 MDT 2010

> From: Richard Ucci <richarducci at comcast.net>
> Date: May 3, 2010 6:31:24 PM EDT
>
> I use spurlocks cradle for the phone, and am using peterson strobosoft ap.
> Also cleartune ap on occasion.

Uhhhhh,

Peterson Strobosoft for iPhone doesn't include any stretch or inharmonicity parameters, as far as I can tell.

Cleartune includes only one generic "guitar stretch" style.

How are you generating useable piano tunings with either of these apps?  I can't imagine that a temperament set with a 2:1 frequency ratio octave (440-220), which is even *narrower* than the 2:1 partial-matched octave on *any* piano (which is itself already much too narrow for a temperament octave), could be useable in creating an acceptable tuning.  Imagine those cramped little fifths.  And, the problem would get considerably worse as you move out from the temperament region.

Don't get me wrong, those programs have their uses in assisting harmonic instruments players (flute, violin…) to play in tune, but they are not designed for piano tuning, as far as I can tell.  My ears are hurting just thinking about it.  It makes me think of the bad old days of strobe tuning before Al Sanderson came along.

I don't mean to be harsh;  if I'm missing something, please point it out.  A truly useful tuning tool that costs $10 or less would certainly pique my interest.  Unfortunately, only mutes and temperament strips and a few other odds and ends typically fit into that category....

Thanks,

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh