[pianotech] Question about Yamaha Date/Place of Manufacture

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Fri May 7 18:15:13 MDT 2010

Hi David,

Pasted from The Yamaha site,

  Yamaha Pianos produced for the U.S. market have been manufactured in 4
locations:

   - Hamamatsu, Japan
   - Thomaston, Georgia
   - South Haven, Michigan
   - Jakarta, Indonesia

 As a result, there are four different serial number ranges for Yamaha
pianos.

If the serial number begins with a *"T"*, the piano was manufactured in
Thomaston, Georgia. If your grand piano is a GH1G, GH1FP, GC1G, or GC1FP,
your piano was manufactured in Thomaston, Georgia.

If the serial number begins with a *"U"*, the piano was manufactured in
South Haven, Michigan.

If your grand piano is a GA1E, DGA1E, GB1, or DGB1, your piano was
manufactured in Jakarta, Indonesia.

If your piano is any other grand piano it was manufactured in Hamamatsu,
Japan.

If your upright piano is taller than 45" it was manufactured in Hamamatsu,
Japan.

If your upright piano is 45" or shorter *and* has seven *numbers* in the
serial number, it was manufactured in Hamamatsu, Japan after January, 1970

email mike at ifixpianos.com