[pianotech] Catastrophic Events While Tuning...

Greg Livingston pianotuner440 at hotmail.com
Fri May 14 21:58:23 MDT 2010

Dear Friends,

I have often wondered about this.  What terrible disasters can happen during a tuning?  Today I pitch-raised a neglected Baldwin studio, and it creaked and groaned for the two hours it took me to wrestle it into stability. I was expecting unforseen disasters at every turn of the hammer.

Have you ever had bridge pins snap or bridges crack, or (God forbid) a tuning pin snap off?  What is the worst that has happened to you, and do you carry insurance to protect you?

Once, at one of my first chapter meetings after I joined the PTG, a well-respected local tuner told me to crank all pianos up to 440 no matter how flat they are. Well, I do that to pianos of recent manufacture with unrusted strings, but for WW1 era sleds I drag them up gradually over several tunings. (It gives me a chance to use my 435 fork.) I guess it all depends on the situation.

Gregory P. Livingston, Piano Tuning and Service
781-237-9178
Piano Technicians Guild, associate member (Boston chapter)

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."  We are constantly reminded of the first part, but somehow the second part gets overlooked.