[pianotech] Catastrophic Events While Tuning...

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sat May 15 05:25:15 MDT 2010

Jon writes:
>> FIve minutes into tuning, thelid came down.

Evidently the hinges were binding enough to not come apart untilthe lid was up.
'll visually inspect from now on or feel for the pins if the[piano is tight to a wall.<<

Mee too!  I was once finished with a D on the stage, had just finished  pounding out the same old, tired, butchered up passages I have used for 30 years to listen to the tuning, taken the SAT off the plate and was going for the music desk when I noticed that the only pin in the lid was at the very back.  Why that thing didn't attack me by the time I got to the killer octave (!) I don't know, but I did envision the treble corner of the lid swinging into my forehead as it arced down to the floor, twisting off the back hinges.  The stage hands couldn't find all the pins, and everyone assumed someone else had taken care of it.  Damn those concertos...

      Had a Baldwin Hamilton try to behead me once when I didn't get that notch over the side just right.

Ed Foote