[pianotech] Catastrophic Events While Tuning...

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sat May 15 06:56:31 MDT 2010

Greg,
  We have nothing to fear but fear itself. IMO  pulling up a piano a bit at a time will not change the outcome .
I lube with protek at v-bar and pressure bar. Tighten plate screws where they are accessable.I  drop pitch before pulling up the first time--then forget part way through and just jerk em'up. I base my method on  the Coleman -Defebaugh anticipated drop pitch raise method from a class in the 1970's.
 Strip mute the entire tenor -treble. Tune Middle strings from tenor break up ,then right string to middle from top down,then left string to the other two from top down. Then two five minute passes  pulling the bass strings up to pitch with no overshoot.
In my experience them's thats gonna break are gonna break. (Strings that is ) First a  !5 -20 minute pass with 20% overshoot. I usually won't go over 20-25  cents . (My own version of fear taking over) Then a second fast pass at pitch . Total time with lube- strip muting twice is 45-60 minutes and you end up with an out of tune piano that is right around pitch.I might go two months without a string breaking ,then have  three in a week. The point is that by sneaking every piano up to pitch you spend many hours to avoid string breakage that may happen anyway .
Best wishes and hope to see you at the chapter meeting next week,
Tom Driscoll

P.S. There has been a non guild Piana Toona in our area  that had a practice of several consecutive days of tunings at full fee to get a piano to pitch. WOW !----- Original Message -----