[pianotech] Catastrophic Events While Tuning...

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Sat May 15 20:59:58 MDT 2010

TODD PIANO WORKS
Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
(979) 248-9578
http://www.toddpianoworks.com

--- On Sat, 5/15/10, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

From: Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net>
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Catastrophic Events While Tuning...
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Date: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 8:43 PM

Matthew Todd wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>  I was talking about if a string breaks in the tenor section or low treble section during a pitch raise where removal of the player system may be necessary in order to replace, or maybe even to remove string.
>  And if the customer really wants her piano to sound better than it does, even if it is 200+ cents flat, you wouldn't do it?

Almost never. I can't tell you the number of times I've been called to tune a piano, or pianos, that were tuned just a month or so ago, and find the piano(s) a half semitone or more low. When I do the pitch raise and tune, and the piano sounds in tune with the other instruments in the place, they invariably ask why the last tooner didn't mention pitch, but just tuned them flat. I think I know why, but I just refer them to the other tooner. I'd rather walk away than put my name and reputation on untunable junk that won't come up to pitch.

Ron N