[pianotech] Tone building in the modern piano

Tony Caught acaught at internode.on.net
Thu May 20 02:43:27 MDT 2010

Hi David,

I am sure that most pianist have their preferred tuners and I am also sure
that those pianists are influenced by their tuner in some way. I agree that
tone in any musical instrument is a personal thing. However the piano tuner
gets to hear more pianos and talks to more pianists than does the pianist.

But the average home player is totally reliant on the tuners judgement and I
am sure that if there was a quick fix that could make a modern piano sound
better in the treble we would all be doing it.

You as a tuner would have to be as unsatisfied as I am with the modern piano
and the manufactured faults that makes it mediocre in tone, so leak in some
places and strong in others.

How can we make them better.

Not the Steinways or the Bose's but the Samicks and Pearl River stuff.

Tony

Tony Caught
acaught at internode.on.net