[pianotech] Tone building in the modern piano

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat May 22 10:20:54 MDT 2010

Tony Caught wrote:

> The question I am asking is two fold. What can be done to improve the tone
> of the modern piano. or, Does the modern piano need to be improved in tone.
>
> Personally I find that the majority of modern pianos above C7 totally
> lacking in any sense of harmonicity and the last 4 top notes have no
> discernable tone at all. I know I am going deaf but then I tune an older
> piano that's in good condition (the last one was a Steingraber upright) and
> I could hear every note with a clarity and harmonicity that I can enjoy.
>
> So to the nitty gritty. For the first part of the question.
>
> How can you improve the tone of a modern piano in the upper treble region.

Hi Tony,
To my ear, almost everything being made these days is voiced
way too bright. The sales pitch is POWER, but it's mostly pain
to me. A decent less mineralized hammer would likely help, but
I don't get to replace hammers on new pianos, so I can't
really know. I have steamed new hammers down some, to good
effect, so I'd start there. Actually, I'd lift and level
strings first, which will often enough clarify tone as to be
worth the effort. Verify strike point, then voice.

If, you just get a "dink" at the top end, with nothing musical
about it and no sustain, there likely isn't any real hope.

It's worth experimenting with riblets and weights too, if you
can get to the problem areas.
Ron N