[pianotech] back to the Tone question in the modern piano

Steve Blasyak atuneforyou at gmail.com
Sat May 22 11:12:14 MDT 2010

Hey now to all on the list,

On May 20, Tony Caught ask the questions below.

1 What can be done to improve the tone of the modern piano.

2 Does the modern piano need to be improved in tone.

The thread seemed to morph into new vs old sound. I don't believe the
original questions were ever addressed. Did I miss something?

To attempt to answer the questions.

While attending the Pacific Northwest Convention in Belleview Washington. I
attended a voicing class put on by Roger Jolly sponsered by Samic.

The answer is yes and yes. The modern day Asian style hard hammers can be
improved, and yes they do need to be improved.

In Roger's class he goes into great detail on how to prep and voice these
type of hammers. I will not attempt to go into any great detail as it was a
two period half day class. However, it begins with an unusual method. He
takes a large single #1 needle about ten to twelve mm long I think. Starting
at about nine on each side of the shoulder he drives the needle all the way
to the core of the hammer. He starts with about three stitches on
each shoulder. This is demonstrated and discussed in great detail. I know DA
(the dude) has not been on the list lately, but perhaps he is still
lurking. I'm sure he could explain the cause and effect much better than
I. Or better yet Roger is an instructor in Vegas!! Doing the same class.

Steve Blasyak
Orange County Chapter