[pianotech] Bridle Tape ENDS

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Wed May 26 08:12:47 MDT 2010

The discussion of Bridle Straps (aka Bridle Tapes) reminded me how much I
regret the passing from UK suppliers of leather bridle tape ENDS.

In many of the old pianos I encounter, the braided cloth of the straps is
OK, but the leather ends perished. It is much handier, and aesthetically
less noticeable, to just fit a new end to the odd tape with an end so
perished that it has broken down entirely.  Of course replacement of the
whole set of straps and/or ends would be better, but sometimes it isn't an
option financially.

Tape Ends are still available from Jahn in Germany, but it's quite
expeinsive by the time you pay postage (nice company to deal with tho!).

Best regards,

David Boyce